March is B Corp Month, a time for Certified B Corporations and other purpose-driven organizations to celebrate why —and how — they fulfill their commitment to doing better for their people and the planet while balancing profit and purpose. Certified B Corporations and Public Benefit Corporations are for-profit organizations designed to generate social and public good and operate in a responsible, sustainable and purpose-driven manner to balance profit, people and purpose.
B Corps are rigorously vetted to ensure they meet higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability. Today, more than 4,000 businesses in more than 70 countries are Certified B Corps. Public Benefit Corporations are for-profit companies that consider stakeholders in addition to making a profit for their shareholders. More than 1,200 organizations in the U.S. are Certified Public Benefit Corporations. And in Minnesota, there are 23 Certified B Corporations and 16 Public Benefit Corporations committed to using business as a force for good.
Beehive Strategic Communication is proud to be a Certified B Corporation since 2018 and a Certified Public Benefit Corporation since 2019.
Support Better Businesses
When businesses put the planet and people first, profits follow, and everything rises. People are increasingly buying from organizations that believe what they believe and act accordingly. In a 2021 Deloitte study on purpose, 57% of global consumers indicated they are more loyal to brands that commit to addressing social inequities. Consumers today want to buy from organizations that use high-quality ingredients and treat employees and the environment well.
In honor of B Corp Month Beehive is highlighting a few of our favorite purpose-driven organizations in Minnesota. We encourage you to check them out, share them with your network and use your buying power to support better businesses for a better world.
- Finley’s Barkeryis a premium pet brand that makes healthy, delicious dog treats free of wheat, corn, soy, fillers and chemical preservatives. Founded in Minneapolis in 2016, Finley’s is dedicated to inclusion and support for people with disabilities. Finley’s donates 50% of net profits to initiatives that provide skills training, paid work experience and a path to independence for individuals with disabilities around the country.
- La Doña Cerveceria is a Latin-influenced craft brewery reflecting the Latin experience in Minnesota and promoting access to the craft beer industry. La Doña is a Registered Benefit Corporation aiming to make a positive impact on society, our workers, the community and the environment. Its mission is to celebrate the vibrancy, breadth and depth of Latino and Minnesotan culture through superior product and customer experience as a fully operational brewery and community/event center while raising awareness of and providing support to social, economic and environmental issues that impact us all.
- Peace Coffee, founded in 1996, believes in bicycle-power, being nice and bringing neighbors, farmers and the community together. They believe that collaboration works wonders and that passion, honesty and a great cup of coffee can make the world a better place.
- Seven Sundays crafts modern muesli mixes. Their mission comes before the pursuit of profits, and they strive to deliver products that have maximum nutritional value and minimal environmental impact. That means sourcing plant-based, non-GMO, gluten-free and nutrient-dense ingredients as close to home as possible. Seven Sundays is also working to support family farms by growing the demand for small grains here in the Midwest.
- Sezzle is a rapidly growing fintech company on a mission to financially empower the next generation. Sezzle’s payment platform increases the purchasing power for millions of consumers by offering interest-free installment plans at brands and retailers. Sezzle’s transparent, inclusive and seamless payment option allows consumers to take control over their spending and gain access to financial freedom. Going beyond its mission of financial empowerment, Sezzle also plants trees for new users, provides scholarships for deserving students and is committed to carbon neutrality.
- Sunrise Banks, based in St. Paul, seeks to radically change the way urban communities and people thrive by empowering them to achieve financial wellness. Sunrise is certified by the U.S. Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a designation earned by approximately 100 banks nationwide. Sunrise Banks uses a do-good approach to its business model. The organization creates both people and place-based products that make a difference in communities. Their lending is local, but their community development scope is national.
- Welly is a consumer products company working to bring simplicity and delight to the world of healthcare. Welly is for everyone afraid to fall, fail, get bumped, get scratched but did it anyway. Welly believes our adventures should contribute to the world; that’s why it is proudly B Corp Certified. The organization holds a high bar when taking care of the social and environmental world where we live and play.
Continue the Journey
Leverage the B Corporation directory to find a purpose-driven business to buy from or work with. You can also learn more about Certified B Corporations around the world.
Review the B Impact Assessment process for B Corp certification to begin your B Corp journey. The B Impact Assessment evaluates how your company’s operations and business model impact your workers, community, environment and customers.
- Create an Economy That Works for All: 4 Tools to Advance Work with Purpose
- Learn About Becoming a B Corp with Beehive Strategic Communication CEO Lisa Hannum
- Public Benefit Corporation vs. B Corp: What’s the Difference?
- What is the Purpose of Your Purpose?
- Why Beehive Believes in B Corp Certification